Office of the County Surveyor
The Office of the County Surveyor provides the following services:
• Educate the public regarding rights and obligations affecting property owners.
• Review final and parcel maps, records of survey, corner records, certificates of correction and similar maps and documents for compliance with federal, state and local laws.
• Store an electronic data base and provide public access to land based records for research purposes. All recorded maps, as well as many other land survey related documents, are scanned and available on the county GIS network for downloading.
• Determine boundaries of county owned properties, including roads, right of ways, easements and county controlled areas.
• Conduct surveys as required by the Board of Supervisors and the courts.
• Authorize retracement surveys of historical land division lines, such as government section lines, ranchos, and subdivision, using monument preservation funds.
• Collaborate with other agencies in the land development process and provide support and expertise to other departments and jurisdictions for the benefit of the public.
Recorded maps and various improvement plans are now available on the internet through the County’s Geographical Information System (GIS).
The GIS allows you to locate a map geographically, by Assessor’s parcel number, street address, or by Volume and Page of a recorded map.
Instructions for Accessing Survey Maps Using the County GIS
Available Items through GIS
Recorded Maps (entire County including all cities): Records of Survey, Tract Maps, Parcel Maps, and Non Recorded Maps
Improvement Plans (County unincorporated areas only): Tract Improvement As‐Builts, MLD Improvement Plans, Public Works Construction As‐Builts, Public Works Drainage As‐Builts (Including city of Capitola)
All items available online or at the Surveyor’s Counter can be reproduced for a fee. Items available through the County GIS can be printed or downloaded. Large format printing can be obtained through your local print shop.
Other Surveyor Counter items that are available by appointment: Street Plan Lines, Tentative Maps, Tentative Maps, Mobile Homes/ Parks, Assessment Maps, Miscellaneous Maps, Ortho‐photos & Drainage Inventory, A82 Maps, Road Maps, CSA index, 1943 / 1948 Aerials, 1972 Aerials, Viewer’s Reports, U.S. Government Notes and Maps, County Surveyor Field Books